Moot Hall


Moot HallThe Moot Hall is a living museum, central to the social history of Maldon. The building dates from the 1420’s and was started by Sir Robert D’Arcy (1385-1448), who was Escheator for Essex, Sheriff and Bailiff of the Rochford Hundred, lay-brother of the Colchester Friars and was M.P. for the town in 1422.

This imposing building was purchased by the Corporation in 1576 for the princely sum of £55 as a centre for local authority. It has since served as a police station with its own prison cell, courthouse and council chambers. As a result of Local Government re-organisation, the building  ceased  being used as the Borough Council Chamber in 1974. However, it contains a wealth of historic features and is an important focus of architectural interest.

A Friends Group - the Friends of the Moot Hall, is a voluntary organization, (registered charity number 1127073),  that was setup to provide the imagination and focus to improve the future use of the Moot Hall as an historical and educational asset to the town, and to support the Town Council in preserving this magnificent building for future generations. For further information about the Friends of the Moot Hall, or if you would like to become a member, please visit www.themoothall.co.uk.

The Moot Hall, located on the High Street, between Market Hill and All Saints church, is still owned and used by the Town Council and following extensive repairs is open to the public on Saturdays from 1st March until 31st October for tours commencing at 2 p.m. and 3.30 p.m. Group tours can also be held on other days by prior arrangement with the Town Council Office. The areas open to the public include:

  • The ground floor Common Hall, Police Station and cells
  • 19th Century Court Room
  • Council Chamber and historic artifacts
  • Rooftop panoramic views of the Town, the river and surrounding countryside

Visitor Information:

Address:

Location: On the High Street between Market Hill and All Saints Church.

Telephone: 07711 985 540

E-mail: info@themoothall.co.uk

Website: www.themoothall.co.uk

Access: for disabled people is limited to the ground floor for wheel chair users. The upper floors are only reached by narrow and steep stairways.

Admission: adults £2.50, concessions £2.00 and children aged 5 to 15 years, £1.50.

Opening Hours: Saturdays from 1st March until 31st October for tours commencing at 2 p.m. and 3.30 p.m.

css# Accessibility